The Benefits of Pressure Washing Roof Shingles
Regularly cleaning your roof with a pressure washer can be extremely beneficial. When dirt and debris build-up on your shingles, water pools beneath them instead of flowing into the drain channels which causes leaks. The debris also attracts moss that absorbs more water and causes damage to the shingles as well. This can lead to shingles rotting and breaking apart, allowing for leaks and further damage to your roof. By pressure washing roof shingles to clean the roof you can remove all these problems and even restore the original color to your shingles! Another advantage is that cleaning your roof this way extends its life by up to 15 years!
Pressure washing your roof is also very easy to do. Almost anyone can manage it with just one tank of gas, a ladder, and an appropriate pressure washer nozzle. You simply need to attach the pressure washer wand to your hose and turn on the water at the recommended PSI setting before beginning work. If you are not sure which nozzle is best for this job, contact local power washers who can advise you of the most effective cleaning method.
Once you have finished washing your roof, make sure that any debris or dirt left behind has been removed or washed away by running clean water over it again. This will prevent damage from occurring in future rainfall as well as bring back more life to your shingles! Regular pressure washing of your roof is important if you want dry and leak-free shingles. It can also make your roof look new and increase its lifespan by up to 15 years!
Call a local professional today if you would like more information on pressure washing your roof or how it will help extend the life of your roof and protect your home from damage!
6 Tips When Using a Pressure Washer on Your Roof
- Always wear proper safety gear such as glasses and gloves when cleaning with a pressure washer. The high force water coming out of the nozzle may cause injuries if proper pressure washing safety precautions aren’t taken.
- Clean an area no larger than 10’x10′. If there is too much dirt on the roof, clean half the section one day and come back for the rest the next.
- Do not let soap mix with the water being used to clean your roof as it can damage shingles and even lead to leaks!
- If you have a metal roof, connect a garden hose spray nozzle to your pressure washer instead of a metal wand so that you don’t risk damaging anything with high-force water from the pressure washer.
- A standard paint roller is great for applying degreasers and cleaners on larger areas of your roof such as those made from asphalt or wood-shake/composition shingles. Use a brush attachment for cement tiles or Spanish-style clay tiles that tend to be more delicate.
- Always keep pressure washer wands at least 4′ from your roof when cleaning. This will help prevent damage from occurring to any part of your home that may be in the way of the high-force water coming from the pressure washer nozzle.
If you have a metal roof, make sure to attach a garden hose spray nozzle to your pressure washer instead of a metal wand so that you don’t risk damaging anything with high-force water from the pressure washer. Pressure washing is great for removing built-up dirt on asphalt shingles which can cause water to pool and lead to leaks! It also helps reduce moss growth by preventing debris and dirt from absorbing more water than it should. If you would like more information on how this type of service can protect your home, contact local professionals today!
1325 Kirkland Rd Suite 101, Raleigh, NC 27603